g's Reviews > I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets by Rachel Fershleiser

Jan 27, 2010

it was ok
Read from January 25 to 26, 2010

I guess six-word memoirs are all the rage right now. Most of these ones by teenagers are pretty much what you'd expect--melodramatic, confessional, self-important. They're about school, love, sex, parents, expectations, not fitting in. There is a hilarious index in the back of the book: my favorite entry is "namecalling." I don't know why I was so amused by that; I guess because it's kind of an antiquated term.

Several were rather lovely and mysterious ("I'm deaf, but she can't hear"; "I can't look at babies anymore"; "The fireworks were gone by then"), though, and I laughed out loud a few times ("Call me 'hippie.' I. Dare. You."; "I am in a love pentagon"; "Mom just revoked my creative license"; "My Dad has more MySpace friends"). My very favorite was probably "Childhood fantasy: Living in a library." Hell, yes. (The one from Disney's Beauty and the Beast?)

I don't know why the editors added ones from "famous" (I didn't recognize most of the names) teens; those "memoirs" were absolutely trite and embarrassing. But this little volume, which I read in an hour, does make me curious about the other six-word memoir collections in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Can't Keep My Own Secrets.

12/05/2016 marked as: read