Laura's Reviews > Finally

Finally by Wendy Mass

Jan 25, 10

Read in January, 2010

My husband smiles as he hears the ruckus coming from my daughter’s room. She and I are lying on her bed, howling with laughter, tears running down our faces. And so it was every night as I read Finally by Wendy Mass to my 8 year-old daughter. Needless to say, we have become instant fans of this new to us author.

The story is about Rory Swenson who upon turning twelve has a wish list of things she is now allowed to do and has wanted to do for so long, such as getting a cell phone, drinking coffee, staying home alone, getting her ears pierced, and shaving her legs. Even as I write this, I cannot help giggling as I remember each incident that happens as she asserts and tests her newly acquired independence.

Rory is a sweet, down-to-earth girl, and my daughter and I liked her immediately. I also liked the “strict” parents who were understanding, loving, and had a sense a humour. We easily related to Rory and her family. And the book’s message is a good one: Maturity doesn’t necessarily come when one hits a certain age, twelve, in this case. Rory is told by a mysterious older woman at the beginning of the story that, “You won’t get what you want, until you see what you need.” The meaning of this becomes clear at the end of the story. I won’t say more, only that it’s a great book that uses humour to deal with the issues that all young tweens and parents struggle with—autonomy, growing up, and embracing those developmental milestones.

This is an excellent mother/daughter book to read together or for a book club. We both didn’t want this book to end, relishing the bedtime reading we knew would bring pleasure and laughter. My daughter is hoping for a sequel. I think I will just go out and get her another Wendy Mass book, and give it to her as a gift.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finally.

Kristen Unger You should! Mass is great and her other titles will not disappoint. 11 Birthdays is also set in Willow Falls, but Jeremy Fink is my personal favorite.

Miles lt's such a great book.

Rebecca Weston I laughed as well so much when I read this. All Wendy Mass books are great and 13 gifts won't disappoint. :)

message 4: by Vanessa Clark (new)

Vanessa Clark The book doesn't HAVE to end! You should read 13 Gifts and The Last Present. The story pretty much carries on throughout the series after this book, but new characters are added on!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all her work! And I'm a big fan of Wendy Mass :)
So if you do read all the books their, you WONT be disappointed.
But my oersonal favorite is Every Soul A Star, I recommened that book to anyone ;)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I spelled personal wrong! Sorry I had an o instead of a p

message 7: by Makayla (new) - added it

Makayla This is a great book so far. I'm not done with it yet. But so far it's a great book

message 8: by Nannas Books (new)

Nannas Books im a nanna