Grace's Reviews > Sky Coyote

Sky Coyote by Kage Baker

Jan 25, 10

bookshelves: history, sci-fi
Read in January, 2010

This was my second (and last) of the Company series. There's just not much of a plot in these books, it turns out. Baker does a wonderful job of fleshing out the environs, both primitive and hyper-advanced, but it looks increasingly like these are books that just minutely observe culture clash.

That would be great, if there was more going on. There's not. The author and her characters are funny, but they're also just going through the motions. No one has a particularly motivated agenda, everything pretty much goes to plan. No drama, little suspense. The series ambles through history, and we're just observers.

Maybe in future books, choices compound and interesting things start happening. But right now this reads as a bible for a TV show or something -- a very detailed, ruminative, extensive tome about how the world works, but containing none of the flash that comes out of the writer's room when they're breaking stories. After two books of scene-setting and little indication that the characters will start being the stars of the story (instead of the historical setting), I'm out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky Coyote.