Julie's Reviews > An Acquaintance with Darkness

Mar 28, 14

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Julie by: Danielle
Read from January 25 to February 01, 2010

** spoiler alert ** So I was bored one day and I had nothing to read and I called up my friend Danielle complaining. She came into school the next day with Gilda Joyce: Pyscic Investingator. I took one look at the book and thought that I would hate it. Danielle just told me to give it a break and that she took it easy on me and didn't give me her Body Snatching Book. And that's how the joke about this book started. I called her up a couple of weeks later looking to borrow the book Shiver, but she told me that I had to read this book and give her a summary and review, then and only then would I get Shiver. She would only tell me that it was about Body Snatching and wouldn't elaborated any further. That and only that is the reason why I didn't go online looking for a summary of the book to memorize and recite to her (and partially because she was monitoring my every move). But I just needed to know what this body snatching was. I had no clue, all I could think of was the Host and how the aliens took away the human's bodies from them, but I knew that it was historical fiction and that would never happen in historical fiction.

So I found myself reading the book. And as I read more and more, I found myself becoming absorbed. Ann Rinaldi creates two plots in this book. On one hand, The Civil War has just ended and the President has just been shot. And on the other hand, stealing bodies from graves for medical research is at an all time high. Emily Pigbush is caught in the middle of both. Her Best friend's mother and brother have been accussed of harboring and aiding John Wilkes Booth and her Uncle who she must live with, is thought by Emily to be stealing bodies from their graves for medical research. These two plots tie together nicely and I absolutly loved the captivating tale.

There Danielle, I said it, I LOVED THE BOOK! Danielle was right and Julia (Juliet) was wrong! Are you happy now? Also, this is one of those books where I find myself staying up at night thinking about what Ann Rinaldi commented about in her Author's Note. "What happened to Emily Pigbush?" Of course she was a fictional character, but the author leaves so much room for Emily to have done so much more after the book was finished. In my fantasies, Emily decides to stay with her Uncle Valentine and aids him with his fights towards more medical research. She becomes the best of friends with Marietta, and becomes a female Doctor. When Johnny comes back to America for a trial, she sits in and watches. They never speak and she realizes that Johnny is no longer the Johnny that shenew in Maryland. She decides as opposed to her former thoughts that she is not over with men and finds that she is still in love with Robert and they end up doing everything together. There are so many more possiblities that I have thought up for Emily but I can not possibly write them all!

All in all, this was a great book and I am so happy that Danielle forced me to read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Acquaintance with Darkness.

01/25/2010 page 21
6.91% "OMG it's Danielle's body snatching book!!" 4 comments
01/29/2010 page 121
39.8% "OMG I NEVER thought that I could get SO attached to Danielle's body snatching book!" 2 comments
01/31/2010 page 210
69.08% "I'm VERY mad at the body snatching book!"
02/01/2010 "finished!!!"
02/01/2010 "finished!!! yay!!! no more body snatching book!!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie Look DANIELLE! I changed the review! Read it again! Tell me what you think of it.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee OMG!!!! I have it in writing!!!! History, everyone!!!

Julie are you sure Danielle, are you really? Cause I can delete it at any time and claim that I never wrote it (And I can delete this too.)

Julie ha ha dee, look at this! IT'S THE BODY SNATCHING BOOK!