Krista Ashe's Reviews > Can't Wait to Get to Heaven

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Jan 25, 2010

bookshelves: my-110-of-2010-books
Read in January, 2010

As a big fan of Fannie Flagg and Southern literature, I was really excited to read this book. It's an interesting premise with Elner Shimfissle falling out of her fig tree, being stung by wasps, and then "dying". Her family, including her neice Norma, Norma's hubby Macky, and the rest of the town from Tot the Beautician to the radio show guys go into deep mourning. She might not have had the most money or fame, but Elner was someone well loved in the town. Shockingly enough to everyone, including Elner who takes a brief trip to Heaven on an elevator, Elner comes back to life. It is her death that truly shows people how to live.

I saw a lot of similarities between this book and my favorite, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe. It's the same small town attitude, the inner strength of women, the friendships that do not adhere to age, social ranking, or race.

Overall, it was a fun, quick read, and you can't help not wanting to live your life a little differently after you finish--for Elner's sake!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.