Alice's Reviews > Shakespeare's Counselor

Shakespeare's Counselor by Charlaine Harris

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010, mystery
Read on October 09, 2010

The most disappointing thing about this book is that it's the last of the Lily Bard series currently available. Harris is focusing a lot more of her energy on the far more popular Sookie Stackhouse series, which is absolutely her right. But I would love to have another of these to look forward to reading another of the Lily Bard books.

This book has Lily softening quite a bit from previous books. She seeks counseling after she has a PTSD episode has her attacking Jack in her sleep, and, meanwhile, she has an upsetting medical situation that forces her to take it easy, lest she wind up injuring herself. Neither of these situations make her weak; this is still the same buff, tough Lily Bard, but one who's willing to concede that she's not the only one who suffers if she hurts, and who puts forth a much greater effort to see things from others' eyes.

What I liked best about this book is that it addresses the disappointing victim-blaming mentality Lily engages in from earlier books. Lily is given good reason to rethink her stance, and the argument given in the book is sound. I was relieved to see that Harris wasn't promoting the notion, implicitly or not, that women are to blame for what someone else does to them.

I can't remember the last time I read a book this fast. I got through it in one sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare's Counselor.