Dave's Reviews > Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs

Nov 04, 07

Left alone on a desert island with just one book, I think it would have to be this one. Over the years I've kept coming back to it, dipping in, savouring the short reviews, immersing myself in the longer, more exploratory journalism.

Bangs was a man who completely understood the essence of great, primal rock and roll, and wrote with the same spirit that possessed the great rock and rollers and jazzmen. Pithy, hilarious, drunk, rambling, and always on point about great music. A champion of the musical underdog, Bangs was one of the few journalists of the time to champion artists like The Stooges, Captain Beefheart, The Godz, The Troggs, at a time when they were dismissed as inept noise. Reading his article on Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" (one of the great unlistenable albums of all time) and you come away convinced that it one of the greatest albums of all time.

His encounters, and extended interviews/reviews/think pieces on Lou Reed, The Clash and Iggy Pop are among the finest pieces of music journalism commited to the page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung.