Jeniann's Reviews > Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia

Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell-McBride

F_50x66
Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: health, all-time-favorites
Read in January, 2010

I wrote a glowing review of this book two years ago, and since then many people have read my review and commented on it, many of whom I do not know, I feel that I must change my review somewhat at this point so that what I have learned can be helpful to others.
As I initially stated in my review, the concepts in this book have tremendous potential for healing gut problems. Within months of starting this type of diet, my son finally got rid of the chronic diarrhea that plagued him his whole life, and I finally got rid of the stomachaches that plagued me whenever I ate for as long as I can remember. Dr. Natasha's recommendations for gut healing are well founded in scientific and medical principles (as she explains very well in the book) and the gut healing methods are quite effective. To me the gut healing that has occurred for both of us has been wonderful, and it's given me a new lease on life in all honesty, and I haven't felt this good in years.
However, one must use the principles in the book carefully. Initially my autistic son made huge gains with this diet and even his behavior changed significantly. However, because of heavy antibiotic use as a baby, it turns out that my son is in a small subgroup of people that have problems with oxalates. As a result, doing this type of diet over a long period of time in the way I did made the oxalate problems much worse, and thus his autistic symptoms in some ways got worse in time, and I am still working to improve them. Although I am confident that I can heal the oxalate problem, it's going to take some time.
I could have avoided oxalate problems by doing the following: continuing with the Betaine HCl for fat absorption problems as Dr. NCM recommends, making sure to consume plenty of probiotics in food form such as fermented vegetables and 24-hour yogurt or kefir, and being cautious about high oxalate foods. High oxalate foods include: nuts, beans (including navy beans), spinach, beets, green beans, and carrots. (Chocolate and wheat and also very high in oxalates, but they aren't allowed on this diet. : ) ) Nuts are particularly high in oxalates and should be consumed with caution.
I still highly recommend this book, I just issue a warning to proceed carefully and make sure to do the diet exactly as recommended in the book.
I also wanted to mention that I do not at all agree with Dr. NCB's recommendation of ABA therapy for autism, and feel that the RDI program is much better. For those interested in further therapies for autism, I highly recommend the books "The Fabric of Autism" and "The RDI Book."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gut and Psychology Syndrome.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy O (new) - added it

Tracy O Your review is very helpful. I'm going to read this book. I cut dairy out of my son's diet which had a dramatic impact on his ability to concentrate and his behavior, but then we found out he is allergic to soy which was our dairy substitute (and the other substitutes don't allow for a true "switch-out") - in any case, this all would have sounded like a bunch of baloney to me in the past, but now I truly think there's something to this. Thank you for the time you took to include the detail that would helpful to people reading your review.

Joellen Murphy You don't want your son on soy anyway -- there's a lot of estrogen in it. Good luck.

message 3: by Kj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kj We switched to raw milk and it's made a vast improvement in our sons behaviour, most notably his eye contact.