Mattf's Reviews > Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set

Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set by Brandon Sanderson

U_50x66
Jan 25, 10

My first fantasy series in years! I'm so glad that I did. This entire series was an amazing read. I thought the magic was complex, yet simply explained. I found it so interesting that my inner-geek no longer wants to become Jedi but longs to become Mistborn! The first book does take a little while to develop the characters and genuine interest in the real dilemma of the story, but once it does the entire series continues to show how complex internal struggles can be. I loved how the books deal with the difficulties of when the “bad guy” wins, what to do once your goals are met, and happy ending are not always how you expected them.

This series has characters that are loved yet disturbing and additional characters that are despised yet pitifully understood. Each book can stand alone with plots that seemed obvious yet always provided twists that had me puzzled and smiling. I loved how each book then blended together to make an amazing story that answered every question I had (except Marsh, which is minor unless the series continues). The authors understanding of religion and how this was subtly mixed into the story was truly enjoyable.

The only negative about the series (and very minor) would be the lack of real romance. I found myself more attached to the chemistry between Zane and Vin than I did between Vin and Eland. Other romantic interests between characters were seldom mentioned or grossly underdeveloped (remember I said it’s been years since I'd read fantasy).
Everything considered, I'd highly recommend this series. This is the first time that I found myself smuggling the books out to dinner dates with my wife and taking to family parties!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set.