Irene's Reviews > The Tail of Emily Windsnap

The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: others-9-11

“So my legs had joined together. Suddenly I was an eagle, an air plane, a dolphin- gliding through the water” (Pg.17). This was the moment twelve-year old Emily Windsnap uncovers the deepest darkest secret she has ever and will ever have. She was a mermaid. The Tale of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kesller, is a story about a young girl’s journey to find out the truth about her and her family.
Emily has always had an interest in learning to swim however her mother was always against this idea because she herself was terribly afraid to and was disgusted with the thought of it. “‘All those bodies mixing in the same water.’ She’d shudder, ‘That’s not for us, thank you very much’” (Pg.2). But when Emily finally does convince her mom to allow her to attend her seventh-grade swim class, well you know already. Emily discovers that she is a mermaid.
After discovering this Emily begins to wonder about the identity of her father who she has never seen or met. She began to wonder if her father was a merman, which he was. Then one things lead to another and Emily finds out that her father was actually locked up in an underwater prison because he broke a law. A law saying that mermen/mermaids could not marry humans. The story continues on about Emily trying to save her father and bring justice for her family.
I found The Tale of Emily Windsnap to be a pretty simple book to read. It wasn’t the best book I have ever read, but it was definitely still enjoyable. Even though it’s pretty simple and easy to read it still has very well developed characters and relationships. Reading this fantasy book kind of makes me feel like I’m right there with Emily too as she‘s exploring the fantasy world of mermaids. I probably would recommend this book for younger readers than teens because even though it’s good, I feel like it just wouldn’t challenge a teen reader as much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tail of Emily Windsnap.