BJ Rose's Reviews > The Door in the Tree

The Door in the Tree by William Corlett

2030200
Jan 24, 2010

bookshelves: children, fantasy, young-adult, library-books
Read from February 01 to 02, 2010

This is the 2nd book of "The Magician's House Quartet", and I got lost/confused a couple of times because I didn't read the first one, but the author cleverly worked in most of the previous action as this story went along, so I was able to enjoy the action in this one. It's definitely a "teaching-but-not-preaching" type of story, and his approach here is that it's OK to believe in something that hasn't been scientifically proven.

Here are just a few of the ideas/statements he puts forth:
We should each discover our true self, discover our place in the order of things, and then do our duty.

"The difference between magic and science is that magic can't be put to the test."

"The secret of magic is believing, but in order to believe...you have to stop not believing." (If you've read or seen The Polar Express this makes absolute sense!)

"The problem with science is that relying on proof can cloud one's perception of the magic that is ever present."

And I think this one is my favorite line: "You were so busy not believing that you didn't even believe what you already knew you believed."

In case you still didn't realize it, this book is about magic - but it's also about getting along without magic, which is what most of us have to do (or do we??)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Door in the Tree.

02/01/2010 page 80 "the secret in magic is believing, but in order to believe, you have to stop not believing"