Leah's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

May 21, 10

bookshelves: cherry-poppin, 3-stars, scars-and-tats-and-piercings-oh-my, loaned
Read from May 17 to 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Shiver is the first book in Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series and a wonderful start to the series. When I first saw this book in the stores, I thought it sounded interesting but I didn't buy it. My sister, however, bought it and there was always that little desire, in the back of my mind, to read the book. It took me a book challenge in which another person picks books for you for me to actually pick it up. And I was definitely not disappointed. From the start of the book, I loved Grace and was enthralled with the wolves, just as she was. They held a certain mysterious appeal that called to me, but the biggest mystery was how and when Sam and Grace would finally meet.

Grace was a very interesting character, in my opinion. She seemed like someone that I would like to know in real life, and I was able to relate to and sympathize with her, which is always an important thing for me with a novel. I liked that she was an independent, strong, intelligent girl who really didn't need the help of anyone else. I loved her fascination with the wolves, and Sam in particular. How cute was it that their love developed over the six years she had only known him as a wolf? One of the most adorable things, in my opinion, was when they were at the candy shop and the candy girl asked how long they'd be together, and Sam said six years.

Now, Sam. Oh Sam, how I love you so. Sam Roth has to be the most adorable guy ever. While I hate that he had to be shot before they could meet, I was so glad when they finally did. Sam's cautious behavior with Grace in the beginning only endeared him to me, but I was glad when he finally gave in and was himself around her. One of my favorite examples of this was when Sam, Grace, and Isabel were baking and Sam and Grace were dancing around the kitchen and kissing. Along with his love for Grace, I very much appreciated his love and dedication towards Beck (who I love, by the way). However, I was always sad when they had to put layer upon layer of blankets, clothing, etc. on top of him to keep him warm; I hated that he was always that close to changing, despite his desire not to.

I was in tears when Sam and Grace were in the car crash and he changed. Just when Grace thought she might have an idea for a cure, and after Sam's ordeal with Jack and the shed, everything had to go wrong. Of course, the next time I had hope, everything seemed to go wrong there, too. With the help of Beck, Isabel and Grace were able to get Sam to the clinic so that they could try their cure theory on him. Just when he was able to turn human for her, he had to turn back into a wolf just when they had the syringe in his arm. It seemed like it had all gone wrong, especially after Jack died from the injection. It all turned out great in the end with Sam walking back into her life from his spot in the forest. That had me in tears, again, and I had to read the last chapter about five times to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me, to make sure that I wasn't reading it wrong. Alas, I was not and I jumped for joy inside.

I can say with confidence that I am very, very glad that I read this book, and I really cannot wait for the release of Linger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Leah Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“It is possible to be in love with you just because of who you are.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd found heaven and grabbed it as tightly as I could, but it was unraveling, an insubstantial thread sliding between my fingers, too fine to hold.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Some days seem to fit together like a stained glass window. A hundred little pieces of different color and mood that, when combined, create a complete picture.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It was the perfect moment to tell her. This is my last year. But I couldn’t say it. Not yet. I wanted another minute, another hour, another night of pretending this wasn’t the end.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Mercy Falls was all about rumors, and the rumor on Jack was that he got his short fuse from his dad. I didn't know about that. It seemed like you ought to pick the sort of person you would be, no matter what your parents were like.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It was as if I had thought all along I was a complete picture and he had revealed I was a puzzle and had taken me apart and put me back together again.”

05/19/2010 page 223
57.18% ""Please notice the chaste distance between us. I am very responsible and have never had my tongue in your daughter's mouth."" 38 comments
05/20/2010 page 324
83.08% "Tell her where Sam is, damn it!"

Comments (showing 7-56)

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Cool have you started this yet?
i keep looking at mine, and thinking i should really read you...

message 55: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Yeah, I started this last night, Ang. I think it's pretty good so far. I borrowed it from my sister MONTHS ago and I was suggested it for the May Pick It For Me Challenge so I decided to read it, finally. LOL

message 54: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I'm not into YA books but I've heard great things about this book. I recommended it to my sister whose your age. She loves books like this.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Great review, Leah. I've been eying this but am not really into YA anymore. My 19 year old daughter would probably love it.

Do you think this would work for a 16 year old boy or is it too chick-esque?

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Omg Leah you make me want to pick up my copy and start reading it right now!!
Wow what a fantastic review!!!
Love it and i wanna read it now!!

message 51: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah @Sam
It's a really, really good book. I loved it so much. It's one of the best YA books I've read in a while.

@Dhes
Thank, hon! I think you should give it a shot, because it's really good, and if your daughter generally likes the stuff I do, then I think she'd like it. In regards to a boy, I don't think that's it's too girly or whatever but I think it depends on the boy. I mean, is he going to get weirded out if he reads about feelings and some kissing? But, like I said, it depends on the boy and what he likes to read.

@Ang
You should! It's so good. I really wanna steal my sister's copy and not give it back to her! Maybe she won't notice...LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ You should!!
LMAO..kidding!!
DId you get my email!!!
OMG and i got burned :)

message 49: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Leah! I really want to read it, but i refuse to do it until the sequel is out. I cannot take the torture if i like it too much.LOL

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah @Ang
I'm going to try it and see if she notices! If she doesn't notice after a while then I'm keeping it! Mwhahaha. LOL. I did get your email and saw that you got Burned, but I also saw that you are reading Seduce the Darkness so do you want me to read that with you first before reading Burned?

@Rossy
Thanks, hon! That is a very wise thing to do. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like Shiver, though, so I decided not to wait for Linger. I know the torture is going to be really bad. I can't handle waiting for July 20th!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Yes Please if you could that would be great!!!
I am loving it tho i am still only on page 118..so i bet you could easily catch up then we can start burned please :)

message 46: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Well since you are actually almost done with Seduce the Darkness, why don't you just finish it? I'll read it another time so that I'm refreshed on the details. Although, I can still talk about it with you.
Let me know when you start Burned. I started it today but I'm only on page 77.

new_user You guys! I hope you didn't read the ending!

UM, he might think it's slow because there's not a great deal of action, but it's a great story. That ending! ;_; My breath was held practically the whole book, "No, Sam, no!"

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah NU, that ending was pure torture! I cannot wait until July for Linger! The ending totally stunned me, LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I havent read it yet!!!..lmao

And Leah i just finished Seduce the darkness, it is my fave book i loved it so much i wanna buy it!!
i love Devyn and bride, omg i loved this BOOK!!!

Lady Allison Leah, I'm so glad you liked this book too! I read it a few months ago for a challenge & it went STRAIGHT to the top of my favorite novels ever! & I definitely cried & re-read the last chapter too. I don't invest in books often (since I work at a library), but I went out & bought this one!!! Can't wait for Linger! We'll have to do a buddy read :)

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Ang, I am so glad you loved it! I told you that you'd love Devyn. He is just so damn sexy ;P

Alli, I read it for a challenge this month and I am so glad that I read it. It definitely went to the top of my favorite novels ever list, too! I borrowed this from my sister. So I plan on not giving it back to her and if she doesn't notice then I'm keeping it! LOL. We will definitely have to do a buddy read when Linger comes out! I cannot wait for it ;P

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Ok ok so the more you girls chat about this i wanna read it asap!!! so after what i am reading now(burned) i am going to read shiver and see what all this fuss is..lol

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah YAYYY! Go, Ang! I can't wait to see what you think about Shiver. It is one of the best books I've read.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ i so wanna read it.. so i have the next few days organized.lol

message 37: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL. I think you're gonna love it :)

♡♥Ang ♥♡ me too, i mean if you like it i will to..lol..

message 35: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Definitely. I love how we love the same stuff, Ang, LOL ;P

♡♥Ang ♥♡ It is great, i cant wait to you read merry gentry series.. you are going to love it!!!

message 33: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I can't wait to read it. I've heard good things about it.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Yeah it is all true!!
When you get there i will be right beside you re reading them with you :)

message 31: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL. Hopefully. I still need to get my hands on them.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I no :(
see i am paitent tho..lol i brought mine but havent got them, i so wanna send you some of my book too read!!

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I know! I wish you could! It would be so nice if we lived by each other because then we could just borrow each other's books!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I no what you mean!!
I am tempted just to send you one in the mail,so you can borrow it!! lmao... i wonder tho if it would get lost... i dont it would i wonder how long it would to take to get to you and then back to me..LMAO

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO. Hmm...interesting. I do wonder how long it take to reach me and then you, LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ LOL.. me to i think about it all the time!!

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Me too! I think about it when we talk about books to read together, LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ i so am tempted to do it,, maybe ill chat to matt and see what he thinks hahahaha

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Hahahaha, go for it and keep my updated.

Man, I am so tempted to re-read Shiver. My sister's copy is still sitting on my bookshelf and I was thinking about it yesterday and I really want to read it again. LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ lol. you so should i am loving it

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL. Me and you will def. have to do a re-read.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Leah it was Awesome, I which i had read it when i first brought it,i thought i wouldn't love something so much!!

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I totally agree. I wish I had read it when my sister first bought it. I never thought I would love it as much as I do.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Same here Sister!!
It was AMAZING,AND SAM WAS AMAZING!!!!

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah HELL YEAH! Sam is the sexiest werewolf! He's my favoriteeee! ;P

message 16: by ♡♥Ang ♥♡ (last edited May 25, 2010 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Same, here i was like crying when he was on the ph to beck,before he was changing!!! yeah i was a mess...lol

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I KNOW! I was in tears when he was on the phone with Beck. I love Beck, too, by the way. He's such a cutie :)

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Yeah he was awesome!!
when he and grace were on the oh for the first time..sooo funny

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO. I loved when he was like "Oh, you're the girl. The girl that was in my house?" I laughed so hard. Beck was so adorable :)

Ronyell Awesome review Leah!!! I just loved Sam to death!!! :D

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Thanks, Ronyell! I love Sam, too! I still have to read Linger, though. I feel like a bad fan, LOL ;P

Ronyell Me too!! I haven't read Linger yet, but I can't wait to check out Linger like I said in my review! Now this series got me hooked! :D

Leah Same here. My sister had Shiver for the longest time and I hadn't read it, then one day I just picked it up, and now I'm hooked! ;)

Ronyell Yeah! When I heard that a lot of people read Shiver and liked it, I figured I give it a try and boom!! I was hooked into the book!!! :D

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Leah did you read Linger as well, I cant wait to the last one!!

« previous 1