Erin's Reviews > The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

Feb 02, 10

Read in January, 2010

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Kelly O'Connor McNees needs to brace herself for the storm of praise she will soon be smothered with. I received an advance copy of Lost Summer on Friday and read it by Saturday, I could not put it down.

Kelly builds a believable scenario about a person that I have held in incredibly high regard since I was a young girl, writer of Little Women Louisa May Alcott. Lost Summer revolves around one summer when the Alcott family, seemingly always down on their luck, spend summer at the vacant house of a relative. The Alcott's leave an indelible imprint on the town and the people in it and are in turn left with heartprints of their own.

Using thorough research plus thoughtful imagination Kelly paints a season of wanting, hurting, jealousy and repression with moments of tenderness and simple pleasures. Every person who reads Lost Summer will come away a little lighter in the tear ducts but richer in the heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott.