Skylar Burris's Reviews > Intellectuals and Society

Intellectuals and Society by Thomas Sowell

Oct 14, 10

bookshelves: economics-finance, politics, sociology, philosophy
Read in October, 2010

I’ve read a lot of Thomas Sowell. Sometimes he can be accessible, and sometimes he can be very difficult to plow through. This one tends toward the latter. While I admire his reason, wealth of knowledge, and logical support for his arguments, this book seems to repeat a lot of what I have already read in his other books, including Basic Economics, A Conflict of Visions, The Vision of the Anointed, and Race and Culture. It’s not only redundant with other works he has written, but it’s rather redundant within itself. If you’ve already read a bit of Sowell, I wouldn’t bother with this one. I admit to skimming myself. If you’ve never read Sowell, however, it might be worthwhile because it hits on most of the major themes he has discussed over the years in his various other books, and you can access those ideas here without reading the more detailed topical books. But if all you want is a good read about the problem with intellectuals…try Paul Johnson’s much more entertaining book Intellectuals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intellectuals and Society.