Jennifer's Reviews > Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di

Doomed Queens by Kris Waldherr

Feb 08, 10

bookshelves: reference-type-books
Read from February 04 to 08, 2010 — I own a copy

A quick, easy read, Doomed Queens offers a light-hearted, tongue in cheek look at some of the world's female monarchs--and their (for the most part) untimely demises.

This book would have been far better had it been a tad longer. Each lady was given only 2 - 3 pages in which to detail her rise to power and her fall from it. It only served to whet my appetite to learn more about these women.

I also think the author--while striving for accuracy--plays a little fast and loose with history at times. She states in the introduction that when in doubt about facts (and I understand that with some of these ladies credible sources are few and far between), she did tend to lean toward the more sensational version of events.

That being said, the book is still fun to read, complete with quizzes at the end of each chapter to review what you read, a quiz at the end to find out if you're a doomed queen (I'm not, btw), and paper dolls on both the front and back cover flaps.

I'd definitely recommend for anyone looking for a quick, fun read about royalty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doomed Queens.

02/04/2010 page 7