Lisa's Reviews > The Six Wives of Henry VIII

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Jan 24, 10

Read in January, 2010

I became interested in the reign of Henry VIII after watching the Showtime series, "The Tudors." After reading Alison's Weir's well-researched book about the six wives of Henry VIII, I can understand why so much has been written about the period and why it still fascinates more than 500 years later. King Henry was married to his first wife, Katherine of Aragon, by far the longest, and I'd always assumed it was simply his infatuation with Anne Boleyn that made him discard Katherine. Katherine was seven years older than King Henry and was already in her 40s when he decided to have his marriage declared null. What is surprising is King Henry was rather religious and did have genuine religious concerns about the validity of his first marriage. I won't give any more away! Six marriages -- 2 be-headings, one marriage voided, one annulled, one wife dying shortly after childbirth, and finally one widowed. These six women are fascinating themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Six Wives of Henry VIII.