Caroline 's Reviews > The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia

The Magician's Book by Laura Miller

Feb 07, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, prose
Read from February 07 to 08, 2010

Fascinating. In a combination of memoir, literary criticism, and biography, the author explores her own relationship with the 'Chronicles of Narnia.' The first section talks about the books' appeal to children, the middle section examines the (many) legitimate criticisms of the series, including the author's attitudes on race, gender, class, and sexuality, and the final section comes back to an adult understanding of the books.

This is particularly interesting if you're interested in Narnia, or children's literature, or fantasy literature in general (there's a lot in here about Tolkien as well). But it's also interesting more generally, as an exploration of reading, of relating to books, and of dealing with the ways that our favorite books aren't perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Looks good to me too. Perhaps I'll read it when I finish my current book.

Caroline  I've only read the first chapter so far, but it seems like something you might like a lot! I have it on reserve at the library so will get to it soon.