Brian Steele's Reviews > Night of Demons

Night of Demons by Tony Richards

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, post-mythic

The 2nd in the 'Raine's Landing' series and a FAR better book than Richards' first effort. Obviously the 1st book in a series can be weighed down by our introduction to the setting, characters and mythology, but often there is a certain magic in that as well. While I had no issues with Richards' handling of such things in "Dark Rain," it was the actual editing that gave me pause - or lack of it. Fortunately, the author appears to have fired his former editor and "Night Of Demons" excels because of it.

The mythology of the series is explored a bit deeper, as well as the characters themselves. The book's villain, while as epic as the antagonist from the first, is more layered and interwoven to the plot. And the plot itself is far more fascinating. Richards makes this tale more personal, more intimate, and you leave the book truly wanting more.

This is what Modern Dark Fantasy SHOULD be. After reading this 2nd book in the series, I'm officially hooked. I'll be following the author, eagerly anticipating more journeys into Raine's Landing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of Demons.