Cliff's Reviews > A Plague of Angels

A Plague of Angels by Sheri S. Tepper

M 50x66
Aug 28, 10

Read from August 10 to 28, 2010

Sheri Tepper manages to write compelling stories but laced with an almost surreal vision of mankind. I've been a huge fan of hers for some time and this book falls well in line with many of her latter books.

I think that where she hooks the reader is by throwing him into an unfamiliar world where the desire to piece together the world almost takes a greater role than the actual plot of the story. With Plague of Angels, the world seems to be our own, but one set in a far distant future after some event has left it returned back to a state of simplicity.

The story of Abasio leaving his family's farm to find a new life in the city almost immediately changes from your run of the mill fantasy novel into a sci-fi world of warring gangs and drug-addled prostitutes. Interwoven with the life of the Orphan, we are given a journey which manages to explain some of what the world has experienced.

But it is through the joining of these tales and a fight against a would-be tyrant, that Tepper manages to inject her trademark near-political opinions on society and its ills.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Plague of Angels.