Steven's Reviews > The City and the Pillar

The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal

Nov 04, 2007

Read in October, 2007

let's see, what i learned from this book? um, fifth grade called, it wants its prompt back. more like, i wish i'd known about this novel in the fifth grade. and having grown up in LA, wow, i think the novel would have left quite an imprint. i mean, ultimately, the point of the story isn't to sell real estate in LA, but i'm just saying, the fact that a small chunk of the "action" occurs there would have brought it closer to home and possibly made it more believable (when i was twelve). ok, so here's the gist of the story: boy meets boy, boys fool around at a cabin by the river, one boy goes to sea, other boy finishes high school and subsequently sets off on his own odyssey to reunite with boy #1.
Loved Gore Vidal's writing style; classy, simple and clean. I often found he could reduce a complex feeling to a sentence or two without butchering it. seriously, no joke, there were a couple moments where i was like, "oh no, he can read my mind. and he has access to a time machine which he used to publish this novel nearly forty years before my birth."
so read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City and the Pillar.