Becky's Reviews > Need

Need by Carrie Jones

Jan 24, 2010

bookshelves: read-for-review
Read in February, 2010

Need was the perfect read for me while I was feeling under the weather with my cold. Zara's story is told in such an easy to follow way that even my fuzzy, snotty brain could enjoy it. The story opens with Zara on her way to Maine to live with her gran. Her mum is willing to try anything to help Zara come to terms with the death of her step-dad and try to begin to open the empty shell that Zara has become. Arriving in Maine, life begins to turn from monochrome to colour as Zara begins to allow herself to connect with humanity. Fear of loss has the power to paralyse any person if they let it.

Zara is an eccentric and rather adorable character. She chants phobias in order to calm and conquer her fears. There are just so many things that people are afraid of and I love that Zara considers so many of them as logical. She also volunteers for Amnesty International and it was great to have a heroine who looks beyond her own life and considers the suffering of others. At her new school in Maine Zara finds friendship with Issie and Devyn. More importantly, she meets the very hot and athletic Nick and speedy Ian. Of course no teen book would be complete without the beautiful snide bully and in Need that character is Megan.

The plot of Need raced along absorbing me in both the detail of the supernatural creatures but also the teen angst of falling in love and starting over. It wasn't particularly original but that didn't bother me at all. I enjoyed the fact that what I wanted to happen did happen. There was a comfort in the predictablity. Any fans of YA paranormal romances should enjoy this book and pixies are a refreshing change from vampires.

Overall, I really enjoyed Need and cannot wait for the UK publication of Captivate. This book filled my need of comfort reading while I was a virus infested mess. Great quirky characters, a simple and gripping plot, hot supernatural creatures are the perfect remedy for fans of this genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Need.