K's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jan 24, 2010

bookshelves: no-longer-own

Sometimes it really pays off to dive into a book knowing zip about the story (I didn't even pay attention to the cover art, just got a vague impression of buildings). Sometimes I get to enjoy a really cool experience that way.

I hadn't been this confused reading an opening scene since meeting Todd Hewitt in The Knife of Never Letting Go. But, unlike with Todd, Thomas is surrounded by people who know less about what's going on than he does. And very little is revealed over the course of the book. I knew this was the first and only release of a new series, which I'm learning is a real bummer to get into when I'm left hanging at the end. At any point, with some tweaking, any of the plot twists could have been a so-so "cliffhanger" ending that I would have been fine pausing at. What I got was the conclusion of one story and the beginnings of a doozy of another.
Cliffhanger endings—1, me—0.

I did feel like the true world that the Gladers inhabit was a bit too vague. That bit of the ending was kind of anticlimactic after everything else. Maybe that's the point; there are two more books after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.