sarah gilbert's Reviews > Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew

Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: kitchen-table-mfa, writing-craft
Read from January 29, 2010 to January 12, 2012

This book does so many things for me I may have to read over, and over, and over, bits and pieces all of the time. It is first a very practical book for a writer who needs practice. Indeed: exercises from this book sparked me into fiction writing, when I before had said that creative nonfiction was my only oeuvre.

It is second a beautiful book full of bright and sunny and thundering bits of Le Guin's personality. Much like Lamott's book, I feel that I am actually learning from her rather than just being preached to. And I am sharing in her favorite, favorites -- passages and quotes and literary devices.

It is third a very useful glossary of literary terms, only the ones Le Guin uses most often a few she makes up on her own, with the addition of an extremely practical grammar tutorial.

And it is fourth a book list, a reading guide, a key to appreciating great literature. I will be putting this down and picking up Thomas Hardy and Woolf's Jacob's Room and re-reading the middle of Jane Eyre and any number of other things. Chekov surely. And Le Guin!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steering the Craft.

01/29/2010 page 25
13.89% "I suspect my high school comp-lit teacher of knowing Le Guin; if not, they are kindred souls, taught themselves by same freshman teacher."
02/15/2010 page 58
32.22% "'Thunder Badger' from the Paiute has me ringing, &Woolf too: 'a sight, an emotion, creates this wave in the mind, long before it makes words"
03/08/2010 page 82
45.56% "reading hemingway and the chapter on person and tense together was a masterful (accidental, but) touch! fantastic confluence."