trivialchemy's Reviews > Zen in the Art of Archery

Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel

Jan 23, 10

I was surprised that I enjoyed this book fairly well. My dad -- who believes that I am an incorrigible materialist, simply because he has wacky pseudo-scientific ideas about quantum mechanics that I am constantly forced to rebut -- sneaked this into my bag when I left after Christmas vacation. But I was having trouble finding something to read last night and I picked it up and was done before I knew it.

It's really not as much la-la and hand-waving as I anticipated. I did cringe every time Herrigel refers to being something and not-something, or focusing and not-focusing, or the Karate-kid mumbo jumbo of 'not hitting the target, but hitting oneself become one with the target' kind of thing. Or "I found I was not breathing, but being breathed." But the Eastern mysticism aside, it is altogether a rewarding meditation on concentration, focus, and dedication to a task.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen in the Art of Archery.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Why is the something/not something so hard for you to grasp? I'll tell you why, you're an engineer.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Yeah, bivalent logic is/isn't for suckers/not suckers.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen heheheehehhe. You see, MFSO, it's due to his status as an engineer. They are all like that.