A Lauren's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

U 50x66
Jan 23, 2010

bookshelves: mystery, scandinavian-lit, 2010
Read in March, 2010

This book was awesome, plain and simple. Best of all it not only lived up to all the hype, but far surpassed it which seems to rarely happen, especially if you have waited as long as I have to read something this popular. I am anxiously waiting for the next two to come in at my library so I can continue.

I don't want to give too much away, as it is a truly good mystery which kept me guessing til the end. However I will sat the Stieg Larsson did something which few mystery writers have done (for me at least) in that he gave me characters that I came to care about. Often I find that mysteries focus on the whodunit aspect, putting more time into disguising the plot twist than into developing the characters. In this book, even after the solution is revealed, I was still completely engaged with the characters and where their lives were going. A unique cast of misfits, who by the end I completely loved.

One word of warning to those with delicate tastes, there are some graphic scenes, but unless you are extremely sensitive to this sort of thing it shouldn't affect your liking of the story. There is nothing gratuitous, it all adds to the story or the growth of characters, and I didn't have a problem reading it.

This is one of the best books I have read in quite a long time, and once the 3rd book in the series is released I plan on buying the set. It is just a shame that we won't get the chance to read anything else from Stieg Larsson.