Katya's Reviews > The Bird Room: A Novel

Apr 12, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: imitating-life
Read from January 23 to April 01, 2010

Eh, I don't know. I feel like I've become a very discerning reader, or maybe I'm just hyper-critical. I didn't really enjoy this book. It promised a lot of things and didn't deliver on most of them. Most of the characters are under-developed. We don't know anything about Will, other than he is painfully shy and awkward - but why? We don't know anything about Alice other than she lied about her family and loves Will - but why? We don't know anything about the other Will, the artist, other than he is a pompous tool and an 'artist' - so what? The best developed character there was Helen, as she had a background and some motive. Everyone else just drifted and acted as catalysts for each other.

I didn't enjoy Killen's writing style, either. There were some good turns of phrase, but overall it felt like he was trying too hard to be Kafka-esque (especially Alice's purposeful ignorance of Will and her date with the other Will) and I hated the way he jumped around the timeline. I still have no idea when things actually happened or if they ever happened at all. Maybe I just like my books more linear these days.

DISCLAIMER: I read an advance readers' copy from Goodreads' giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird Room.