Christy B's Reviews > The Winter Sea

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

1204629
Jan 23, 2010

bookshelves: arcs-and-galleys, fiction, favorites, historical-fiction, historical-romance, stuart, time-slip-and-travel
Read from September 25 to October 01, 2010

I LOVED this book. It has been on my wish list for ages. I would read the synopsis, stare at the cover and read reviews over and over. Needless to say, I was pining for this book. You can imagine how giddy I was when I had the opportunity to read and review the reissue for Sourcebooks. It's been a while since I've been this excited to get my hands on a book.

This book has everything: historical romance, contemporary romance, rebellion, tragedy. All the good stuff.

Author Carrie McClelland set out to do research for her latest novel, only to find herself in a completely different place than she originated – in more ways then one. As Carrie sits down in a cottage in Scotland, with a view of the very inspiring Slains Castle, to write her novel, she is surprised how fast the words are coming to her, until she starts realizing that what she's writing is hitting a little too close to historical fact. At first, Carrie convinces herself that she has come across certain names and dates without realizing it, but soon she can no longer deny that something odd is happening. Has she inherited a memory? And is it of her ancestor, Sophia Patterson, who lived in Slains Castles during the Jacobite Rebellion of 1708?

Carrie's heroine, Sophia, has traveled to Slains Castle to live in the company of the Countess of Erroll, the sister of her late uncle. Sophia finds herself thrust into a different world. She finds Slains to be a busy place, full of people full of secrets. And with the fact that anyone could be a spy of the queen, Sophia is wary, but finds herself drawn to a certain Mr. Moray. Here the historical romance ensues.

As Carrie works her way through her novel, she discovers things about herself right along with her heroine. She finds her own romance, which is fortunately a little less complicated than Sophia's.

One of the running themes I loved in this book was genealogy. Genealogy is a huge hobby of mine. In the past year my family tree has grown drastically. I could understand why Carrie's father was so into researching his family. Genealogy is fascinating because not only is it history, but it is the history of you. The fact that Carrie was uncovering long lost family secrets and names had me geeking out a bit.

I recommend this to any historical fiction lover. I found myself zipping through, but at the same time I never wanted it to end. Don't you hate that? A+ storytelling!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sea.

09/26/2010 page 85
show 5 hidden updates…

Misfit Isn't this good?

Christy B Yes! Holy crap. I loved it.

Marg Yay! This is THE book that I have been pimping to people over the last year. I think I have posted either the full review or links to the review on my blog 3 or 4 times!

Love this book, and now I am working my way through her backlist!

Christy B I've been currently doing that with The Bells: A Novel by Richard Harvell (psst, read it; it's good).

Anyway, I really want to get my hands on her backlist, now!

Misfit Marg wrote: "Yay! This is THE book that I have been pimping to people over the last year. I think I have posted either the full review or links to the review on my blog 3 or 4 times!

Love this book, and now ..."

I'll be you are relieved now that everyone else is loving it too.

Marg I am trying to resist making smug told you so comments! lol

Misfit Marg wrote: "I am trying to resist making smug told you so comments! lol"

You go right ahead. I know that pins and needles feeling though. Look at me hawking Chadwick all over the Amazon universe how many years now?

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Bruno This is the second rave review I've seen in the past few days, I have really got to pick this one up. Thanks for the great review, Christy!

Christy B Amy wrote: "This is the second rave review I've seen in the past few days, I have really got to pick this one up. Thanks for the great review, Christy!"

I'm sure you'll love it!