Geoffrey's Reviews > Resistance

Resistance by J.M. Dillard

Jan 23, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, star-trek

This is my second Star Trek novel and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the previous one: 'Death from Within.' Where the latter felt like just another episode of TNG, this one felt like a continuation of the story and felt like it added more depth to the characters and to the Borg themselves.

In the TV shows and movies, the Borg are just a jumble of races controlled by cybernetic implants - not a race per se but just a group. For whatever reason, there is a queen who's an individual but also part of the whole and can be in more than one place at a time. Now, I love Star Trek and I call myself a trekkie but I never quite got all that. In this novel, as part of Dr. Crusher's research, they are described more like a group of humanoid insects where the assimilated are changed on a DNA level to become part of this race as well as part of the collective mind. It makes them much more understandable and makes them cooler as well.

In addition, I like the new characters brought into the Enterprise crew and treated as fully defined people and not just Red Shirts to become so much fodder. They have their own opinions, loves, likes, dislikes ... they're fully realized characters. And, it appears that all characters in this ensemble cast can be killed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance.