Liriel27's Reviews > The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

2063334
Jan 23, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, first-reads
Recommended for: Fans of Allen's work, people who like happy endings
Read in January, 2010

I received an advance copy of this through First Reads, a program which consistently makes me happy.

Allen is one of those authors who puts me in a pensive mood, like my brain has to digest her style and story for a bit before I can really decide what to do with it. I'm a fan of her magical realism, because they all seem rooted in a greater emotional arc for her characters. I am also willfully old-fashioned in my appreciation of her plotting.

This book satifies my desire, left over from childhood, for things to be put right - even the characters recognize that it's like a fairy story. So the good win and the slightly less savory are, if not punished, put in their places. I like this about the book, and about Allen as an author.

Others will not. There are some who will point out that everything ties up a bit too neatly, that certain elements of character development strain the suspension of disbelief, that the writing style is overloaded with figurative language. My only complaint is that I can feel more story here - we're left in the middle of the characters' lives, and I want to know what happens next.

I'm not altogether sure that is a complaint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri This is the first book I have read by Sarah Addison Allen. I agree with you. I was hoping this would be part of a series, there is so much more I want to know.