Laura's Reviews > The Kite Runner

F 50x66
Jan 23, 2010

it was ok

SPOILER

The biggest flaw of the novel- the reader can not possibly respect/understand or even like the main character and yet the author does everything in his power to convince the reader to do so. The reader is supposed to feel sorry for the weak rich kid who couldn’t stand up for anything or anyone and in the same vein the reader is expected to understand why the maimed/betrayed/abused servant kid who stood for everything that is good had to die a horrible death. I don’t think so.

Too contrived...way too many clichés. I felt like I was being beaten over the head with horrible events and sadness all so Ali could make amends and make things "good again" in his life and really, it was too late in the end... Too much had happened or not happened. The moments of redemption had passed.
Ali saved the orphan Sohrab from a life of poverty and crummy orphanages...but, he didn’t save him from the horrible abuses he suffered by the novel sicko and he certainly didn’t save him from losing his father or mother. The kid gets dragged to America because Ali and his wife can't have children (plot manipulation) and because Ali feels guilty for abandoning his brother. It just doesn’t work. It's not enough. The author expects way too much out of the reader(i already said this..but it needed repeating). I can't possibly sweep all of the betrayal under the rug for Ali...especially when it seems like he only adopts the boy to ease his guilty heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.