Jenny Renee's Reviews > The Nature of Jade

The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti

Jan 23, 10

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own
Read on January 23, 2010

What first made me interested in this novel is the fact that the main character Jade has anxiety and a panic disorder. I don’t suffer from a panic disorder but I do have anxiety and panic attacks so I thought I might like reading a story about something I can relate to, and I loved it! This book was filled with romance, friendships, family drama, and the love of animals—and I think that it was a perfect mix.

Overachiever Jade loves elephants. She loves just looking at them and they calm her down. That is why Jade was looking at the live elephant cam from her local zoo when she saw the boy in the red jacket. Something about him caught her eye, and it wasn’t the fact that he was young and had a baby with him, but it was just the way he looked at the elephants and up at the sky.

The story follows her through her senior year in high school –where she faces college choices as well as friend choices along the way. Jade just feels out of place and wants to change things. She finds herself accepting a job at the zoo taking care of the elephants. There she finally meets the boy in the red jacket Sebastion, and his son Bo. Which leads to a growing relationship, secrets, and life changing decisions.

I was surprised that there were multiple plot turning points that blew me away because I wasn’t expecting them. It wasn’t your usual chick-lit romance –it had secrets and a whole lot more. In the end Jade learns that we are all connected together whether it be people and people or people and animals. Overall I loved it and would suggest it to anyone.

Things I loved about the novel:
1. I could really connect with Jade as a character and just simply really liked her.
2. Each chapter starts out with a blurb from a book called “The Fundamentals of Animal Behavior” that says an interesting fact about a certain animal. It always kind of made each chapter exciting to start.
3. Everything and anything else.

Rating: 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nature of Jade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyra (new)

Kyra I want to try reading this book, I also get anxiety and panic attacks -.-