Medeia Sharif's Reviews > Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time

Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time by Lisa Yee

Jun 17, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in June, 2011

I read Lisa Yee’s MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS years ago. I thought this would be a sequel, but it’s actually not. The story runs parallel to Millicent’s. In the first book Millicent tutors Stanford, who flunked English and has to retake it. I thought Stanford was obnoxious in MILLICENT but with this book, which is in his point of view, I became sympathetic towards him. He lies to his friends about having a summer job, so they won’t find out he’s taking English in summer school. His tutor, Millicent, is an annoying know-it-all. He’s a wiz in basketball and needs decent grades to stay on his team. He has a crush on Millicent’s friend, Emily, and strives to impress her. His parents not getting along and his grandmother being sent to a nursing home adds another emotional dimension to this novel. The book is adorable and I look forward to reading book three, SO TOTALLY EMILY EBERS. I’ve grown to love Millicent, Stanford, and Emily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time.