Doug Beatty's Reviews > Breaking Out of Bedlam

Breaking Out of Bedlam by Leslie Larson

Jan 23, 10

Read in January, 2010

I really enjoyed this story, mainly because of the voice of the main character. Cora Sledge was from the deep south and later moved to California where her three children conspired and put her in an assisted living facility. Cora is 82 and her grand-daughter gives her a journal and she starts writing every day about things happening in the facility as well as events in her life that made her the woman that she is today. Cora weighs too much, smokes heavily and has become addicted to painkillers and anti depressants, and manages to find some friends in the facility that help her obtain her cigarettes.

There is also a thief among the residents or staff that are entering the rooms and taking everybodies precious belongings. Cora wants to get to the bottom of this because one of her prized possessions is something that has been taken.

Along the way, Cora meets some interesting characters, including Marcus who comes in to take care of her, and another resident named Vitus with whom she falls madly in love.

I generally liked the story and liked Cora's description of things and espcially the passages where she discusses her life before with the reader. I also like the scenes where she is at the dinner table interacting with the god-awful Ivy.

The only problem I had was that about halfway through the book I had a very clear idea to where the book was heading and I think I just wanted to finish it to get to the end... and not enjoying it as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Out of Bedlam.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan Doug-
Thanks for the review.This looks like a fun book.I always think of the elderly in assisted-living facilities as being sad and depressed so it will be nice to read about a woman whose life has continued after her placement.