Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)'s Reviews > Sharpe's Devil

Sharpe's Devil by Bernard Cornwell

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, eras-napoleonic, audiobook, have-paper-copy-too
Read from February 27 to 28, 2012

That....was one of the most boring books I've ever listened to. Even being abridged (All the good & important stuff left in, yeah? Isn't that how it goes?) and read by Sean "Sex On Legs Whose Voice Makes Me Puddle" Bean couldn't save it.

Beats me why Cornwell's books are so beloved. I can't get into his writing, no matter how hard I try. I hear his Uhtred books are Teh Awsum, but I'll take y'alls words for it. Not going there myself. I fall asleep too easily enough as it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharpe's Devil.

02/28/2012
30.0% "The only reason I'm enduring a Cornwell book? Sean Bean narrating. :P"
02/28/2012
49.0% "Sean, I keep listening just for you because man alive, Cornwell's writing is soporific. >__<"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie And I couldn't finish the first volume of his Civil War series. It seemed so dry and boring.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Yeah, I don't know WHAT IT IS about his writing. But it's just...blah. I listened to a few minutes of a book in his Uthred series and it's the same thing.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I have yet to give him a try, except for those two books he co-wrote with his wife.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane I thought Azincourt wasn't bad, but that's the only Cornwell I've read.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Marte I've read over a dozen of Cornwell's books, and admittedly his Sharpe's series are my least favorite. If you like historical fiction, you may want to break down and try his Saxon series (about Uhtred) starting with The Last Kingdom. From having read a number of his books, they vary in quality. Even among the Saxon series there are highs and lows. You read enough of his books and you begin to notice Cornwell has his stock characters that appear from series to series. His trilogy on King Arthur, starting with The Winter King starts slow, but is probably his best work. I love his Merlin, and how he uses natural phenomena in nature to make people think he is a magician. His Grail Quest series which takes place during the Hundred Years War is also a pretty good read.