Pamela Todd's Reviews > The Winds of War

The Winds of War by Herman Wouk

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: classics, fiction, read-in-2011
Read from February 22 to March 01, 2011

The Winds of War is an incredible book to get through. The story starts as Germany begins its attempted rise to power, before the world realised what a threat it was. It follows the naval family, the Henry's, as they each play a role in the events of the start of WW2.

It is stacked full of useful, and correct, information. We see the great leaders of the war - Roosevelt, Churchill, Mussolini, Stalin, and of course, Hitler and each gets dialogue in the book. While at times sluggish to get through, the personal lives of the Henry balances out the navy speak and politics that weight down the book and make it so fat in the first place.

I myself was highly intrigued with the relationship between Byron Henry and Natalie Jastrow as they witness the beginning of the war first had with the siege on Poland and as Natalie struggles to get out of Europe and back home to the States.

There is a storyline to suit everyone. For the history buffs, this book will not disappoint. There is the youngest Henry, Madeline, and her story as she pursues independence in the Big Apple, and the eldest Henry, Warren as he improves his naval career and finds himself wooed by a girl from a powerful family. And of course there is Pug and Rhoda, the matriarchs of the story and the Henry family.

The story ends rather abruptly, after a huge climax. But that is where War and Remembrance comes in. I own the second instalment of Herman Wouk's incredible work, but I won't rush to read it. The Winds of War was a challenge to get through, only because of the sheer volume of facts. But I am eager to know how the Henry family fares once thrown head first into World War 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winds of War.