Brian's Reviews > Dandelions in the Garden

Dandelions in the Garden by Charlie Courtland

Apr 20, 11

Read from March 16 to April 20, 2011

WOW! An exceptional story which I enjoyed immensely. The author excels at all the important elements of creative writing. The character development is excellent and I could picture each one in my mind easily. The plot is well constructed with many twists and turns that unlike most books I could not foresee. By the authors footnotes and my own love of history books, much research is injected into this story. Also the narrative is most interesting as the story is not related in the first person. I know that women had pitiful rights back in the 1600's and the only way to have a good life is to marry into nobility. Nobility really means wealth, prestige and power which is well reflected in the book. The story is about two main characters, Lady Amara and Elizabeth Bathory among many others. All marriages back then that included nobility was prearranged. Elizabeth refused to marry within the confines of a prearranged marriage and wishes to marry for love. She became bitter that her first love and her first child is taken away from her and forced to marry Francis anyways. She became disillusioned and as time went by she used her prestige and wit to revenge anyone who wronged her. She became very interested in torture and from the many castles she lived in constructed rooms to torture people just for fun. An interesting twist is near the end her companion throughout the story, Lady Amara, discovers Elizabeth is kin to Vlad the Impaler. There is much more in the second book in this fascinating two book adventure. A very talented author. Recommended to any reader despite their preferred genre.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dandelions in the Garden.

03/20/2011 page 50
03/22/2011 page 300
70.0% "excellent story! Compared to most books I am reading this at the speed of light."
03/31/2011 page 200
47.0% "Despite what my Kobo tells me this is a much longer story. An excellent one and I enjoy lengthy stories. This author is amazing!"
show 1 hidden update…