Amelia's Reviews > The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011-2012-reading, best-original-idea, historical-fiction, reviewed, did-not-finish, to-read
Read from June 26, 2010 to October 16, 2011

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Reviews & More.

A creepy as hell story, but so not my style. There are some authors that can write this really flowery, in depth stuff that I can still connect with, but Wooding was way over my head. Just too archaic for me to really wrap my head around, though there were some moments I could really appreciate—but only for their brevity.
Thaniel drew a pistol, opened it, spun the chamber to check he had a full load of bullets, and snapped it shut.

"My pleasure," he said.

Excerpted from hardcover edition, page 51

Everything else just went – whoosh! All these elaborate descriptions of rooms and characters…eek. If he took about half of it away, it would still come off just as creepy and haunting but keep my attention.

So even though I would covet this book for elaborate descriptions, I'm not going to spend several days slogging through it all.

I'd tried reading it before and I believe I stopped for the same reason: too much description bogging down the story and the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray.

10/10 page 43