Carla's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Aug 12, 10

Read from May 17 to 19, 2010

Books about wolves are kind of my "thing", I know a lot more about the werewolf genre than I feel comfortable admitting. Like the famous words from Jerry Maguire "you had me at hello" well, thats what these books are to me, but obviously replacing the words hello, with wolves. So, I think its safe to say that I was more than a little bit excited to get my hands on a copy of this book.

Bryn is 15 years old and is quite literally being raised by a pack of wolves. This is as shoddy as it sounds, because being the only human in a pack full of wolves means that restrictions and rules are aplenty. Her guardian Callum is overly protective and Bryn hates the fact that just because she's human, she's seen as the weakest link. And then Chase comes onto the scene and it's like lighting a firework, you know it's going to explode, you just don't know when.

I loved that Barnes decided to write the book from Bryns perspective because we get a lot of insight of how she copes with pack life, how she manages to deal with the constant power struggles and feelings of inadequacy. It was through Bryn that we get to see the inner workings of pack life, and how she has come to view and respect members of her family that harbour deep resentment at Callum for bringing Bryn into their misdt. I honestly couldn't turn the pages fast enough once Bryn realised that her pack and leader were keeping secrets from her, and I knew she wouldn't give in until she uncovered the truth.

Wow, Barnes writes in such a captivating and electrifying way that keeps you on your toes, always second guessing any speculations you may have about the plot line and outcome of the book. The way the characters interacted with each other was endearing and sincere, especially the interactions between Callum and Bryn. At first I resented Callum for the boundries he set Bryn and not letting her have space and freedom, but once you get to know him, I sympathised with his situation and his insistent need to keep Bryn safe no matter the cost or the conseqences of his actions.

Bryn, OH BRYN!!! I frackin loved this girl something rotten. She's one of those girls that just doesn't really give a crap about what other people think. She's that girl everyone wants to play truth or dare with because they just know she'd take whatever was thrown at her and give as good as she got. Bryn was fiesty, kick ass and sneaky, but most of all, she was mature, smart AND fierce. She understood why Callum was more strict with her than other members of the pack, but just because she understood it, it didn't mean she was going to keep quiet and let him get away with it. Boy, I love my characters when they have some sass and take no shit. Makes me want to pull out the fist pumping.

Raised by Wolves is one of the best books about wolves I ever had the pleasure of reading. It was fast paced, action packed and most importantly, it had one of the most well thought out protagonists to tell us the story. Addictive and engaging, if you don't read this book, then more fool you, because you are seriously missing out. Am I reading the sequel? You bet your ASS I AM!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

05/17/2010 page 1
0.24% "*falls down*"
05/18/2010 page 279
66.75% "This may just be *the* best werewolf book I have ever read"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly Sold! *adds to TBR list*

Novels On The Run I bought this book for a friend as a thankyou she to is a "You had me at wolf". I have access to this book at Big W and it is killing me not to walk in and buy it for myself. I have preordered on The Book Depository ...so I am waiting..waiting...for it to arrive. I have heard it is brilliant and you have just confirmed it. I am almost worn down waiting for the release at The Book Depository affectionately named The Enema by my book group of friends. I may just cave in ....slowly walking to grab my car keys...

Michelle

message 3: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie Hughes-Lloyd Hey.. Is this kind of like a love story book ?