Buggy's Reviews > Lover Mine

Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

Opening Line: "He wished he had more time."

**Spoiler Free**
In trying to review LOVER MINE two words keep popping into my head; Amazing and Damn… just damn. How can I honestly put into words how much I loved this story and how sad I am that it’s over? Following a year long wait JR Wards 8th instalment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood finally made its way into my eager little hands. At 512 pages LOVER MINE is huge (with a fantastic cover) and I’m happy to report that it does not disappoint, in fact with John Mathews long awaited story the WARDen positively shines.

Fans are given exactly what we’ve been waiting for with ever evolving storylines, multiple POV’s, surprises, tragedies, plot twists, ass-kicking action,(Xhex much) humour and oh the romance. Completed here with erotic, blush-worthy love scenes and of course the inevitable struggle and heartache. I can tell you that this story brought me to tears more than once and not for the reasons you might expect. All of this awesomeness has been wrapped up with Wards unique style of writing, complete with product placements, rap music, unique street language, multiple f-bombs and a whole new batch of cool Wardisms I can’t wait to start using, you feel me.

The series is brought full circle within this book with loose ends cleverly tied together and resolutions brought to story threads we’ve had growing and brewing since the beginning. Sadly I realized that even with Ward continuing indefinitely JM/Darius will be the last of the original brothers to have his story told and that with this book being red, just like book 1 (Dark Lover) she’s given us book ends of a sort.

With us since the beginning, in this instalment we finally get John Mathew (and Darius‘s) story. Of all the characters John is the one we have the greatest sense of and have invested the most time in, having watched him change from a scrawny, neglected and abused pre-trans into an enormous, and angry male with a ton of fricken baggage. His pairing with the half Sympath Xhex has been in the works for some time now and with her abduction in the end of (Lover Avenged) we have the perfect place to begin their story. (Which I’m not going to give away) I will say however that I was pleased to see reflections of the sweet, sensitive John we remember (only now oozing sex appeal) and witness a softer side of Xhex. As always their path to HEA is not an easy one but its fun and sexy as hell watching them open up to each other and get there.

As a whole the storyline blew my mind. With three very separate and distinct running plotlines, (which at first had me wondering, where the hell is this going?) Ward manages to merge all the puzzle pieces together into WOW, bringing us deliciously full circle. Darker and more serious than past books my only real complaint would be the lack of banter between the Brothers and the Brothers as a whole. The moments that we’re given are excellent and while they’re all represented to a degree (some more than others) I insatiably craved more and truly missed them. Qhuinn and Blay, each now with their own POV manage to somewhat fill the gap who along with Saxton bring a different degree of heartache, sexiness and hot mess to the mix. Lash is also back as the Lessening societies leader and surprisingly awesome here as he takes things to a whole new gooey level of evil.

In the end Ward leaves us smiling with contentment, with new characters emerging and events opening up for future stories that I can’t wait to discover. I just wish it wasn’t so far away because I find that after getting just 3 days with the BDB its already time to leave them again and I’m not quite ready to let them go yet. See ya next year boys, stay safe Cheers!

Oh, and in case you were wondering Ward dedicates this book to John Mathew himself(which was what started my first crying jag)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

Quotes Buggy Liked

J.R. Ward
“I would hold you up. I will ever hold you up and hold you dear, lover mine.”

J.R. Ward
“Some things are destined to be -- it just takes us a couple of tries
to get there.”

J.R. Ward
“You never knew the last time you were seeing someone. You didn't know when the last argument happened, or the last time you had sex, or the last time you looked into their eyes and thanked God they were in your life.
After they were gone?
That was all you thought about.
Day and night.”

J.R. Ward
“Say the word. Say the word and I won't go.

Say the word, Qhuinn. Do it and I'll spend the night with you.

Better yet, why don't you just kiss me-”

04/27/2010 page 28
5.47% "Qhuinn's big shoulders shifted as he ducked out of sight and then the veil fell back into place."
04/28/2010 page 154
30.08% "He knew when he was aroused... and that was the thing that no matter how polite a male was, he couldn't hide in tight leather." 1 comment
04/29/2010 page 281
54.88% ""Back at the Brotherhood compound"... (what I wouldn't give)"
04/30/2010 page 349
68.16% "Where was Blay? John wondered. And who the hell had Qhuinn just balled?"
04/30/2010 page 440
85.94% "Life had a way of getting pretty damned creative didn't it. Ah shit, Z just made me cry like a baby!!"
04/30/2010 page 440
85.94% "Life had a way of getting pretty damned creative didn't it. Ah shit, Z just made me cry!!" — 0 minutes"
04/30/2010 page 443
86.52% "The essential truth of life he was coming to realize, wasn't romantic and took only 2 words; shit happens. Damn now Tohr's made me cry too!" 5 comments
04/30/2010 page 542
100% "Finished, so amazing I'm kinda speechless Damn...Just damn"

DarienMoya Oh my I took a peak. and I got cock and some other stuff.

message 2: by Buggy (last edited Apr 27, 2010 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy D, LOL what the hell are you talking about girl? I've done a quick skim so far, read a cool prologue, interesting Quinn/Blay/Saxton stuff going onYou're going to love! Is that what you're talking about? Do you have the book yet?

DarienMoya yeh i have it, and no what I saw was sex scene between Xhex and John.

Awww Saxton, Blay and Quinn, I am freaking out.

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Apr 27, 2010 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Chest to chest, kissy, kissy in the alley. There's a couple of boners mentioned! Quinn is jealous.

DarienMoya FECK, Oh my god.

quinn could join and have a 3way.

Buggy Thats TOO MUCH BONER! I'd die

DarienMoya So would I. I would die happy though.

DarienMoya Î would give up my gender. hahahh

Buggy You are a funny girl D "meanwhile in the Pit..."

DarienMoya "Darien caught site of some black candles,and Butch and V just stepped out of the bathroom. super sexy and gloriuosly wet" oh god get me a bucket.

Buggy Haha, I forgot about your bucket, nice??(maybe wrong word)to see its return. You do like to clean don't you!

message 13: by Caty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caty hahaha, i don't know what Darien's bucket is for, but
I'm game for mopping if i'm allowed to watch the boys.

DarienMoya Caty its a multi use bucket. To wipe up spillage to catch spillage. We are dealing with V here so we might get a little of both.

I do enjoy cleaning, up after......

message 15: by Buggy (last edited Apr 29, 2010 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Ahh, The multi-purpose bucket which I'm sure was (in part) responsible for the great Chapters-delete-gate back in the day. Bring on the bucket!!

message 16: by DarienMoya (last edited Apr 29, 2010 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

DarienMoya tsk tsk. Who knows I say alot of things. Now I can be naughty all I want.

Here here to goodreads.

message 17: by Caty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caty Know what?
I'm liking this multi-use bucket of yours...
cleaning is important... yes it is ^^

DarienMoya Very good, the bucket wont let you down!

Rossy Fantastic review, J!

Buggy Thanks Rossy, it s a bit long winded but I had a lot to say!

Eastofoz Great "spoiler free" review J Bug :) I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. I'm hoping that there isn't too much crap about the Lessers and that the romance really shines :)

Buggy Thanks Estofoz, I actually enjoyed the Lesser parts this time because Lash is well, evilly awesome. Yup the romance shines all right, up there with the books before Phury and Rehv. I can't say enough good

Eastofoz What a relief that the romance is back to normal!

Lynsey A Wonderful, review J Bug! I really loved this story too. Definitely agree with the WOW moment as well! I found myself crying on this one too. Now, I anxiously await the next one...

Buggy Thanks so much Lynsey, I still can't stop thinking about or get the story out of my head. It was so well done and damn its going to be a very long year until the next instalment.

Lynsey A You're welcome, J Bug. I absolutely agree. I keep re-reading the end. The whole story was amazing! I am so looking forward to the next one but yes it is going to be a very long year.

She did such a great job with this one. It was very, very well done.

Auntee Awesome review J Bug! And I'm amazed that you could keep it spoiler free.:)
You are correct, Lash was deliciously evil!

Buggy Thanks Auntee, I tried super hard to avoid any spoilers before I read Lover Mine and I loved discovering everything on my own, without opinions, so it was important to me to remain Spoiler free in my review. Yeah Lash surprised me in that I quite enjoyed his character. I could just talk about this book endlessly...

Tiffany Wicked awesome review J Bug!! I have to get reading this book but there so much to do and I want to give it my full attention :)

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Great review J Bug. I especially loved the bit about the product placement (you feel me). True to that, LOL.
I totally understand you keep thinking about the book! I finished it last Monday and I forced myself to stay up the next night (I had come home really late) to finish my review to at least accomplish a feeling of closure. It worked a bit though I haven't read a book yet since and I'm all on the boards talking talking talking about it.
Ahh... a year of waiting will be hell!

Buggy Thanks Tiffany, yes it deserves your full attention and will get it regardless LOL

Thanks so much Mel, I love the Ward-isms and she must be getting kick-backs (at least from Ed Hardy, Grey Goose or Cadillac Escalade, or, or) I also didn't feel closure until I finished my review (so funny you mentioned that) and have started and stopped at least 4 new books. The problem is nothing else compares.

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel I know! I deliberately want to read smut so I won't be hating on a book which doesn't really deserve the hating, just because I keep thinking of JM (oh I miss him already!).
By the way: all Ward's dedications are for the Brothers concerning, except V's (that one is for Jane).
It took me 4 books to realize that... :S

Buggy WOW thanks for that great observation. I kept meaning to check because I was certain I'd read "dedicated to you" before, it just never clicked. Oh yeah the riff between Ward and V (I wonder if she'l ever tell us the whys of that?)

message 34: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Oh yes, The Lie! Maybe it will be revealed in Payne's book?

message 35: by Buggy (last edited May 02, 2010 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Mel I have a question for you; I don't know if you caught this in my review but do you think it was intentional on Ward's part that Lover Mine is red (in color) just like Dark Lover (being book 1) In effect creating book ends? Because even with Ward continuing indefinitely JM/Darius will be the last of the original brothers to have his story told.
Curious if you even noticed or was it just obsessed me?

message 36: by Mel (last edited May 02, 2010 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel I definitely caught it cause I thought it was a very good point. And I think you might very well be right but we won't know for sure until we see the next book's covers ofcourse. But you are forgetting about Tohr: he's still a Brother. I'm wondering about what color his cover will be. He should have red too!

Buggy Yes, Tohr does throw a wrench in my whole theory. Maybe it wasn't intentional? So Payne and Manny are next and then maybe the boys?? Blay/Qhuinn then Tohr/No'One oh and now we have Murhder too. (You've probably answered this 100 times already)

message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel LOL. Well we know it's going to be:
#9 Panyne & Manny

And then I hope it will be Blay & Qhuinn. Cause really: Ward can't drag the angst and the pain on too much - and not only because I won't be able to take it.
So if they get their own book, it must be #10.
However, if that won't happen (boooohooo) then I expect them to get it in either #9 (I hope not yet) or #10. Which brings the question: who is #10 about?
I can't imagine it's Tohr's book because I think Ward will need him to have the spotlight in order to properly tell his story and make her readers accept his second shellan. Qhuay would steal the limelight for sure. So it might be about Muhrder & Layla (not a confirmed HEA yet but that is my guess.

Hoping:

#9 Blay & Qhuinn
#10 Muhrder & Layla
#11 Torh & No'One

And then I think Trez & Selena will hook up too. And ofcourse we have Lassiter. And iAm. Oh and Fritz ofcourse, LOL. I could go on, but I need to go sleep (it's almost 1 am here). ;)

message 39: by Buggy (last edited May 02, 2010 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Mel, sleep well (I'm in Western Canada its 4pm here)
If your lucky you'll dream about the Brothers. Cheers!

Nichole (Dirty H) Really, Mel? Fritz?

message 41: by Buggy (last edited May 02, 2010 04:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Ha ha Nichole, yeah Fritz that would be... interesting. Not really sure I want to read those love scenes; all pushed up against the shelves with another Doggen in the pantry!
Lassiter now that would be truely interesting, wow

Tiffany I wanna see Lassiter with someone!

Buggy I think I'd like to see more of Lassiter, period. He's sexy and funny
I wonder if he's gold ALL over??

Tiffany Yeah I love Lassiter, he's so awesome. Now I shall go back to reading Lover Mine ;)

Buggy Lucky girl, enjoy!

message 46: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Well Nichole, you never know...;). Actually we deducted he's over 450 years old and that means he has pretty much reached his maximum lifespan for a doggen. I think we are going to see him die rather than get laid ;)

I'm curious about Lassiter too. I forgot where I read it, but apparently Lassiter has already met his mate but he can't get to her right now.

Tiffany Maybe she's an Angel?

message 48: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel I wouldn't be surprised.

And I remember from the Slice of Life bits on the Warden's boards (the Vishous & Lassiter story) that Lassiter has a sister and Vishous had some kind of issue with her. I wonder when we're going to learn about that.

message 49: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Walker Damn, just damn - truly sums it up! Way to put it. The bomb; the best; I want me at least one of these awesome men! Humor everywhere. Emotions everywhere. Ready for #9.

Buggy Thanks Babs, Its been a week now and Lover Mine is still all I can think about. Nothing else compares, what to do for the next year until #9??????

« previous 1