Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Wump World

The Wump World by Bill Peet

Jan 22, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Read in January, 2010

This is a very 1970 book. The first Earth Day was in the spring of 1970, and I was mostly involved in it because that was the semester I was editor of the school paper and we covered it extensively. I don’t remember this book though.

The wumps are probably the cutest fictional creatures I ever did see. I love the illustrations of them: their expressions, movements, their young riding on the backs of the adults; they’re just so lovable and adorable.

The wump world is a bucolic place and then it’s invaded by polluting monsters (who look an awful lot like human beings) who build it up with buildings and freeways and get rid of most of the natural world the wumps cherish and need for their sustenance. The story is a very heavy handed message but it’s a good one, and I suppose it was slightly forward thinking in 1970 when this was first published.

It has a bit of a bittersweet ending, and it’s definitely a cautionary tale, and sobering because it conveys that while some damage can be reversed, the world will never be the same, yet hopeful at some level too.

I recently read How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head by this author and I really enjoyed it. I can tell from these two books and their themes, that I’m interested in reading some other books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wump World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Chandra, Ha! He's not quite as prolific but he does have quite a few books. I'm actually (maybe) just starting a reading challenge in one of my groups, and it's going to be mighty embarrassing how many picture books I'm reading. Maybe someday. I have enjoyed the two I've read and I really like his sensibilities.

Kathryn This looks great--I am going to read it for the wumps, even if the message might be a bit too heavy-handed for my taste.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "This looks great--I am going to read it for the wumps, even if the message might be a bit too heavy-handed for my taste."

Heavy handed and a few decades old/old fashioned manner, but the wumps are so adorable!

Kathryn I'm really glad you brought this to my attention, Lisa! I loved meeting the Wumps :-) This might be a good one if we do the Environmental theme for April picture book club!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I'm really glad you brought this to my attention, Lisa! I loved meeting the Wumps :-) This might be a good one if we do the Environmental theme for April picture book club!"

Maybe. It's dated. But it was written at the beginning of the current environmental movement so it might be interesting historically, and it's still applicable. There are so many good books; it will be hard to choose.

Dolly We just read How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head. I learned of it after reading your review. Thanks for the recommendation!

Lisa Vegan Dolly wrote: "We just read How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head. I learned of it after reading your review. Thanks for the recommendation!"

Oh, Dolly, I'm glad and and your children liked How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head. I loved that book.

Dolly Lisa wrote: Oh, Dolly, I'm glad and and your children liked ..."</i>

We are becoming big fans of [author:Bill Peet
's work.

Lisa Vegan Dolly wrote: "We are becoming big fans of Bill Peet's work."

Yes, he's wonderful, and prolific.

Ronyell Great review! I really enjoyed this book too!!!