Lana's Reviews > This Voice in My Heart: A Runner's Memoir of Genocide, Faith, and Forgiveness

This Voice in My Heart by Gilbert Tuhabonye

Jan 22, 2010

Read in January, 2010

Gilbert Tuhabonye, a Tutsi and a gifted runner, gives a first-hand account on the violence in his country of Burundi that preceded the better-known story told in "Hotel Rwanda." He was the sole survivor of an attack on his school led not by unknown Hutus, but those he had considered his friends and associates the day before--his principal, teachers, classmates, and even teammates. He tells of the "voice in his heart" who gave comfort and guidance to him through the ordeal and through the healing process. Favorite quotes:

"I remain grateful to those who extended some kindness to me. ...Over time, I came to realize that for every one of those Hutus who had attacked our school and whose faces I'd thought would be indeliably imprinted in my brain, another two or three faces of goodwill replaced them. Though the faces of my attackers faded, the visages of those killed did not. ...the images of my friends, classmates, and fellow Tutsi sufferers never leave me. ...I guard those memories zealously... they [and the physical scars on my body:] still bear silent witness to what was done to us."

"If I were to place on a scale all the bad things that had happened to me and my family on one side and all the kindness and generosity on the other, the goodness in people would far outweigh the bad. I saw Burundi for what it was--not a paradise and not a hell, simply a land made imperfect by the people who inherited it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Voice in My Heart.