Dave Johnson's Reviews > Why We're Not Emergent

Why We're Not Emergent by Kevin DeYoung

Feb 05, 10

Read from January 28 to February 05, 2010

great book. i had always had my doubts about some things i had noticed about the emergent church movement, and this really confirmed those doubts with some pretty shocking and, frankly, scary quotes from many in the movement. i was familiar with a few of the personalities the authors mentioned and even had a couple of the books (which i didnt like, mostly). they really go into a lot of detail making their argument that the emergent church is really wishy-washy, full of doubt, and has no grip on scripture or even history, for that matter. it was truly illuminating to read. the only downside is that it is a critique, so for me this wasnt exactly an uplifting book--but, again, that's not the purpose. i found myself shaking my head in disbelief at the audacity of some of the quotes from emergent leaders, even saying, "Oh no!" out loud.

great read, must buy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We're Not Emergent.

01/30/2010 page 135
52.73% "HECK YEAH! this book is really informative! I can't believe some people believe in...nothing"