Steph's Reviews > Fighting to Survive

Fighting to Survive by Rhiannon Frater

2142019
May 22, 10

bookshelves: year-read-2010, favorites-2010, series-ended, author-웃, author-favorite, series-i-love, hubster-read
Read from May 17 to 20, 2010

ATWD: Fighting to Survive finds Jennie, Katie and their fort friends doing just that ... Fighting to Survive. They've been living at the fort for a few months and are still trying to figure out who is the vigilante in the group. They are trying to create a society where everyone is equal, doing their part (whatever job they are best at) and trying to be accepting of all the many different personalities in the group.

Katie finally gives in her to attraction to Travis, admitting that she is bi and not only interested in women. She is still struggling with the loss of her wife, Lydia. Jenni, Juan, Jason & Jack, their dog, are becoming a family. Jack, their German Shepherd, makes me want to go out and adopt one today! Jenni's memories of Mikey, Lloyd and baby Benji (those tiny fingers scraping under the door ... gives me chills each time I read it!) continue to haunt her as well. The rest of the mini-mains are growing closer each day. Everyone is realizing that it's time to try to get passed the loses they've experienced and enjoy the second chance at life and love they now have at the fort. Romances spark throughout.

As they fight through the terrifying memories of the "First Day", ghosts of the ones they've loved and lost haunt them, or help them.

The group is also struggling to expand their "safe area", as their numbers grow. More and more people make it to the fort safely, but the losses still occur, each mission to gather survivors and/or supplies is a risk they all take each day. In addition to dealing with the threat of zombie attacks, there's a group of bandits that have been terrorizing other survivor outposts. The end of the world tending to bring out the worst of humanity, as well as the best.

Nerit continues to be one of my favorite characters, of course in addition to Katie & Jenni. She's a bad-ass sniper who has become an integral part to the group's survival.

This series only gets better with each book, drawing you more into the lives of the survivors, their memories of the "First Day" haunting you right along with them. Rhiannon Frater has a fantastic writing style. Without using more words than necessary, she has a way of describing things that make the reader feel as though you are right there. [This trilogy would make an awesome horror movie!!:]

If you love horror, gore and strong heroes this series is for you. I highly recommend it!

**LOL! Scenes in this book had me snickerin' to myself ...**

Jenni was given a T-shirt that read "Zombie Killah" PERFECT! If zombies ever start poppin' up, I'm makin' one! :)

Also, gotta love it when Roger dubs himself "'the red shirt on the away party' in homage to the Classic Star Trek show".

[Format Read: eBook]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fighting to Survive.

05/17/2010 page 18