Lucy's Reviews > The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them

The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine N. Aron

Aug 28, 10

Read from March 19 to May 01, 2010

I have a sensitive child who is easily overwhelmed. I have realized that I do not parent him in a way that helps him thrive.

This book did not help me because it told me that for him to thrive, I can never appear to be upset in front of him, never raise my voice, never make him eat anything he doesn't want to, never force him to be in a situation he finds himself uncomfortable in...basically let him live in a totally unrealistic world.

While I found the suggestions to be over-the-top (the author didn't force her son to learn how to drive until he was twenty-six!), I was made aware of how a sensitive child sees the world. Much more so than less sensitive children, HSC (oh, yes. It's an acronym) are cautious and oftentimes timid because they are overwhelmed by stimuli and awareness of possible consequences. Just last weekend, I saw firsthand how my sensitive child was unable to participate in an activity until his younger brother went first, showing it was safe. And it wasn't just that he was unsure or scared for himself. The entire ordeal of watching his brother stressed him out because he was much more aware of all the possible ways it could go wrong. It was really quite something to watch.

I consider myself sensitive, so I do empathize with my son and hope to be a better parent to him. I just wish the suggestions from the author were things I felt I could actually implement. Instead, I feel more discouraged that I am exactly the kind of parent who is going to ruin my child

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Sensitive Child.

03/20/2010 page 78
23.56% "This author seems to like herself a little too much. Her writing is off putting. Trying to see the science through the bias."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Years ago when I was reading everything I could on raising children, I confided to a librarian that I still just didn't know what to do with my son. She said "Just love him". I bet you're already doing that. A combination of patience with their quirks along with occasional challenges seems to work in the end.

Lucy I hope he knows that. Thanks, Jane.