~Tina~'s Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: lib, adults, read-2010, historical

Water For Elephants, walks the memories of ninety (or is it ninety-three) year old Jacob Jancowski, who recalls his younger self in the days of circus life. The illusions, the scandals, the friendship, The hardships, the bonds and the secrets he's kept...

I found myself completely fascinated by this world. Seriously didn't think I'd love this book as much as I did. I only wanted to read it cause my favorite actor is staring in it.
But hey, there it is.

Water For Elephants is a born classic. I remember going to the circus when I was a kid, and while it was nothing like this one, it sill brought happy memories back.
I loved the way it was vividly written, it's like your there. It has so much depth.
Jacob has got to be the sweetest thing I've ever read, I enjoyed reading his story so much. And that ending, priceless and beautiful!

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie come to life. Lets hope it gives this book the justice it truly deserves.

An Unforgettable Read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ Check out the new trailer!

Water for Elephants trailer

Reese is gorgeous and so is Rob for that matter. This book was awesome, lets hope the movie does it justice!

message 2: by Nic (new)

Nic That trailer looks great especially Rob. I will have to read the book before I watch the movie because if I watch the movie than read the book it always seems to ruin it for me.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Nic- Thats exactly what Im going to do! The movie looks good for the book must be better::)

Thanks for the link and the review Tina!

~Tina~ Definitely read the book first guys, you'll miss out I'm sure since I can already see slight changes from book to movie.
Plus, ya guys just gotta hear Jacob's voice. He's adorable;)

message 5: by AH (new) - added it

AH I've been looking for this book at the darn library. It's always out. I have only heard good things about it. Tina, have you read Bel-Amiyet? I can't wait to see Rob in that role. Great review.

~Tina~ I can't bring myself to read that book AH, I've scanned it at my lib but it doesn't look like a book I'd enjoy. But I will be watching the movie and yes, it's because of Rob. I'm not ashamed to admit it;) LOL
It's gonna be...something else I'm sure. HA!

Read this though, it's a great book!

message 7: by AH (new) - added it

AH He does look good in the trailer. So clean cut. And he barely sparkles.

~Tina~ Hahaha!

message 9: by AH (new) - added it

AH But he looks way way better in the Bel Ami costumes.

Try that book - it is really a good story.

~Tina~ I'm sure it's a great story, but I think in this case I'm gonna need the visual. I tried reading the first chapter at my lib and it didn't grab me:(
Looking forward to the movie though, it looks fascinating:)

message 11: by AH (new) - added it

AH Visuals, huh? Did you see the photos of Rob in those costumes? Drool worthy.

message 12: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 17, 2010 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Uh hu ~waggles eyebrows~ Visuals XD!

The man is pure drool worthy in anything he wears...or doesn't for that matter;)

<3 him!

Eileen Totally agree with the both of you! Love both books and love drool worthy Rob <3!

~Tina~ <33 ^^

Morgan F I love that book but I'm not sure I like the trailer.......the music is too.....cheesy? Is that the word I'm going for? IDK

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm watching it. Hopefully Rob will tune out all the cheesy music.

message 17: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I've been planning on reading this in preperation for the movie. (I love Rob!) I'll try to read this one soon. Great review! (Thanks for the heads-up on the movie trailer, I didn't know it was out yet!)

message 18: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 17, 2010 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ The trailer is out, but it's such a teeassseeeee! The movie doesn't come out till April 2011:(

The music is cheesy, but Rob will fix it;)

Morgan F Eh. We shall see.

Eileen I think the trailer catches the mood/atmosphere of the book just perfectly and I love the cast.
About the music, well, we shouldn't forget that it's a period piece and it plays in the 30-ties.
I'm so excited about this movie, I really can't wait! Wish it was already April 2011.

message 21: by Rogue (new)

Rogue [Eh. We shall see.]

LOL. Only fair. ^^

message 22: by Rogue (new)

Rogue lol, the comp and goodreads are messing up, how many times will this one post? lol

Morgan F Have you tried deleting one?