Kellyreaderofbooks's Reviews > Arcadia Falls

Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman

F 50x66
Jan 22, 2010

it was ok

When Meg Rosenthal gets a job offer from a private boarding school in Upper New York, she thinks this will be the new start she's looking for. Recently widowed, and with her sixteen year old daughter in tow, Meg makes the move to Arcadia, the art school she's been hired at.

Right from the start, it's apparent that things are done a bit differently at Arcadia. Students--and faculty--celebrate pagan rituals such as Samhain and summer solstice. As Meg (and her daughter) become more emeshed with the school, things begin to take a sinister turn as a student is found dead.

I thought this book would be a great mix of gothic with a bit of mystery thrown in. Instead, it ends up being a lame and very predictable story about mothers and daughters and the past. Also, there's a romance between Meg and the town sherriff that really detracts from the story.

I found Meg a not very believable character, and it takes her forever to figure out what is right in front of her face. Unfortunately, the reader figures things out very early on, so there are no surprises here. I also thought the teen daughter Sally (insert eye roll here) one of the most annoying teen characters I've ever come across, and it's sickening the way Meg caters to her every whim, and is afraid to offend here. The plot itself is construed in a way that everything is conveniently revealed to the characters. So conveniently that it comes off as unrealistic. The one big plus is that the book is a really quick read that requires zero brain power (in fact, at times I wondered if it was a YA novel), so you won't need to spend much time on it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia Falls.