Kyle Warren's Reviews > The Invention of Morel

Jan 31, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Recommended to Kyle by: Sawyer
Read from January 21 to 31, 2010

What a complete and utter mind-BLEEP! As this was read due to its inclusion in "Lost", the whole time I tried finding connections and allusions that were relevant to the show. I can totally see why they referenced this novel. However, my review will not cover that stuff.

The narrative was extremely unique in that there were so many characters but there was really only one. Distinguishing between reality and hallucination was the first trick to overcome in reading this book, but then after you sink into the tone and also after certain things are revealed, you realize that what was seemingly a hallucination was indeed reality, but in a hallucinatory manner. Yes, that makes sense. Just read the book and you'll see.

This is definitely the kind of book that needs to be re-read, and I definitely will do so, but I'll give it some time to sink in before diving back into it. After learning the truth of the island and everything that the narrator experienced, the clues are not only obvious but are littered throughout the first half.

I highly recommend this to anyone that can appreciate a strong and unique narrative device, no chapters, and a little bit of science fiction mixed in with delusional romance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Morel.

01/22/2010 page 16
15.53% "I love that hallucinations have already become a significantly haunting aspect of the story. Are they real or not? What is real? Hmm..."
01/23/2010 page 34
33.01% ""And when there are no echoes, the silence is as horrible as that heavy weight that keeps you from running away in dreams." pg.19"
01/24/2010 page 54
52.43% ""So I was dead! The thought delighted me. (I felt proud. I felt as if I were a character in a novel!) pg. 53"
show 1 hidden update…