Jennifer's Reviews > Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Apr 24, 07

Recommended for: Grammar nerds
Read in April, 2007

This book beat any other punctuation guide I've ever been forced to read. This was like reading a page (or 200) out of my own personal rants on bad usage of punctuation in public places.* I love the way Truss emphasizes that us sticklers feel affronted every time we see a movie title that ignores punctuation all together (e.g. Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Two Weeks Notice). It touches on the history of punctuation and why some of us use the oxford comma while some of us don't. It explains the differences between different kinds of commas, apostrophes and is absolutely RIDDLED with various forms of punctuation itself. (Note the lack of oxford comma in that last sentence?) This was the first book in a long time that had me laughing out loud and reading entire passages to a very patient boyfriend. Oh, and the mention of the apostrophe thusly made me smile wickedly:
"...if (say) the apostrophe is turning up in words such as 'Books', then that's a sure sign nobody knows how to use it any more; that it has outlasted its usefulness; it is like Tinkerbell with her little light fading, sustained only by elicited applause; it will ultimately fade, extinguish and die."

*I have an overwhelming urge to pencil in some changes on a sign in my bank that reads: "This phone is for Credit Union members only. If you have an emergency of course we will let you use it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.