Alyce (At Home With Books)'s Reviews > The White Queen

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

If you had asked me last month what the War of the Roses was about I would have probably made some crack about the Michael Douglas movie of the same name in order to distract from my ignorance of this particular segment of history.

Once I started reading The White Queen I realized that I was familiar with parts of the plot from reading Richard III years ago. Even this knowledge was pretty scanty - just something about two boys being imprisoned in the tower. While I had some idea of the outcome of the story, I didn't know any of the details, and so The White Queen was an educational and entertaining read.

After finishing the book I was impatient to know the fate of all of the characters, and did some research on the Yorks and the Lancasters. I was pleased to find that the embellishments that the author made in order to fill in the historical gaps were plausible theories as to what might have happened.

I only had two issues with this book, and they were both minor. The first was the use of the present tense throughout the book. I know that it's supposed to make the story feel more immediate to the reader, like he or she is watching as the action happens, but I find it to be jarring, and it distracted me from the story at times. The second issue was the use of magic and a goddess within the plot. I have no problem believing that the characters might have practiced or believed in magic, but it didn't appeal to me that the magic was supposed to be a real force that actually changed history. When I'm reading historical fiction I want it to be factual, not mystical.

I really liked this book, but I think I would have lost myself within the story more, and given it a higher rating, had it not been for the usage of present tense and the inclusion of mystical forces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Queen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai I second that. Though some people thought this book was mediocre. I feel a lot smarter about European history now than I did taking world history..lol