Carrie's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: human-behavior, back-burner-partially-through, book-club
Read from February 16 to 28, 2010

The day I returned "Fast Food Nation" to the library (sadly unfinished, but I WOULD have finished if I weren't such a slow reader!) I was flipping through "Stuff White People Like" and discovered that all white people have read "Fast Food Nation." So that explains why so many of us support farmer's markets. I thought it was because we had all read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." My bad!

Reading this, I expected it to be more like "Supersize Me" and talk mostly about how bad the food is. But no, it was more about how giant corporations make it so you can't compete with their prices and also how they screw the American workforce by not paying enough and encouraging worker turnover every 3 or 4 months so they can get more federal funds for training marginal populations. It makes me depressed because the government can fix this problem but it doesn't.

I became more observant of the businesses around me after reading this... Was cheering when I saw a stretch of independent stores, but it was a very small stretch of road before everything was dominated by the same signs I see everywhere else. Makes me want to become more involved in politics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.